DECATUR, Ga. - The Agnes Scott College tennis team played flawless doubles and rode that momentum to a 7-2 win over Great South Athletic Conference rival, Salem College. The Scotties (7-4, 3-0 GSAC) won for the sixth straight time, dropping only 6 games in doubles against the Spirits (5-7, 1-2 GSAC). With the win, the Scotties guaranteed themselves the regular-season crown in the GSAC.
"We have been working hard on our doubles at practice," indicated head coach T.J. Greggs, "and it really showed today out there."
The match, which also celebrated the careers of Anne Rinaldo and Claire Rinaldo, started off strong for the Scotties across the board, with all three doubles teams jumping out to early leads. The No. 2 doubles team of Taylor Lee and Maddie Hoffman were the first off the court, turning in another solid performance to raise their season record to a team-best 10-2 as a doubles team. Nikki Langford and Camille Wilson followed suit with an 8-2 win over Allie Watkins and Leia Pruitt, before the senior duo of the Rinaldos dispatched of their opponents at the top spot, 8-3.
"Anne and Claire have been such an important part of this team," continued Greggs, "and they really came out and played some inspired tennis today."
In the singles, the Scotties quickly acquired the necessary two match wins to put the contest away, as Claire Rinaldo easily handled Andrea Akers, 6-1, 6-2 at the top spot, and Hoffman took out Ashley Koehler, 6-2, 6-0 for the fifth and deciding match. Anastasia Bennett kept her perfect season in singles alive after taking out a spirited challenge from Ayla Pruitt, downing her, 6-4, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot. Langford would register the other win for the Scotties, winning 6-3, 6-0 over Samantha Story. Salem would emerge victorious at the No. 3 and No. 4 spot to lead to the final 7-2 score.
The Scotties will wrap up their regular season on Thursday, April 16, as they travel to Wesleyan for a 4:00 p.m. match against the Wolves. The GSAC Conference Tournament will take place on April 24-26, 2015, also at Wesleyan College.
Agnes Scott 7, Salem 2
1) Claire Rinaldo/Anne Rinaldo (ASC) def. Andrea Akers/Kerri Morgan (SAL), 8-3
2) Taylor Lee/Maddie Hoffman (ASC) def. Ashley Koehler/DeAnna Wilkins (SAL), 8-1
3) Camille Wilson/Nikki Langford (ASC) def. Allie Watkins/Leia Pruitt (SAL), 8-2
1) Claire Rinaldo (ASC) def. Andrea Akers (SAL), 6-1, 6-2
2) Maddie Hoffman (ASC) def. Ashley Koehler (SAL), 6-2, 6-0
3) Kerri Morgan (SAL) def. Anne Rinaldo (ASC), 6-1, 6-2
4) DeAnna Wilkins (SAL) def. Taylor Lee (ASC), 6-4, 6-2
5) Nikki Langford (ASC) def. Samantha Story (SAL), 6-3, 6-0
6) Anastasia Bennett (ASC) def. Ayla Pruitt (SAL), 6-4, 6-0